In partnership with Outside The Lens, I will be teaching participatory photography to the students of Daraja Academy. Outside the Lens is a San Diego-based youth media literacy program dedicated to enriching and celebrating the visions and voices of children. Their (our) mission is to engage, educate and empower youth on issues affecting the world today through photography and multi-media projects. My kind of people.
Participatory photography, my weapon of choice, refers to photos taken by groups who would traditionally be the subjects of other people’s pictures. It enables them to record and reflect their own strengths and concerns, and can provide training in photography and media skills. Usually implemented in conjunction with creative writing, it is a tool of empowerment and agency.
Participatory photography projects at Daraja will touch on themes of the individual and society (Here I Am), self and identity (Pieces of Me), water and conservation issues (Water In Focus), and world cultures and perspectives (Picture Me, Picture You). Armed with digital cameras and a laptop, I will be teaching photography and creative writing alongside Daraja instructors. I will assist students in creating a body of work that will be shown both in the United States and Kenya, sharing the visions of economically disadvantaged young women as they prepare to make their mark on the world. I look forward to learning their unique personal stories, and I look forward to providing them a vehicle to share their stories with you.
If you’re interested in supporting this project, click here. Outside The Lens is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, meaning all donations go directly toward bringing participatory photography to Daraja Academy, and are fully tax-deductible.
Thank you for reading, thank you for sharing this with your friends, and thanks for supporting these tremendous young women.
No comments:
Post a Comment