Friday, October 15, 2010

10/12/10 Self-aware: Kufahamu

Still recovering from a mild stomach bug, I concentrated Tuesday’s efforts on sleeping and executing “Pieces of Me,” the second major Outside The Lens project that WISH classes were to undertake. Combining self-portraiture with a simpler poetry assignment, Form 2 girls spent the afternoon brainstorming about their favorite piece of themselves and sketching out the way they wanted to portray it. After dinner, I met with the girls again to write poems about their favorite pieces- always a powerful experience when working with teenaged girls, no matter what continent.



“Pieces of Me” by Hadijah

The very best piece of me is my forehead and eyes.
My long brown forehead with jet-black hair lying alongside of it allows me to hit the ball amazingly when playing football.
My round brown eyes allow me to see and visualize different things around me.
The milky-whites of my eyes make me unique from anybody else, and look attractive with short black eyebrows above them.
Without my forehead and eyes, no one would recognize me as Hadijah.
Without these beautiful eyes, how would I be able to see this wonderful nature filled with amazing things?
My forehead; without it I wouldn’t be able to hit the ball as I usually do.
These two parts totally differentiate me from other people- Oh how I love them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment