Friday, October 15, 2010

10/6/10 Diversity: Utofauto


Wednesday- Form 1- Here I Am 

Form 1 is analogous to Freshmen in the United States. While a scholastic year younger, this class ranges from 14-19 years of age, and benefit from an extra year of free primary school (Primary school is K-8 and only became free of cost to all Kenyan students 5 years ago). Wednesday was Form 1’s opportunity to write about where they’re from, and again it took my breath away.

When all students are attired in their school uniform of blue blouse, gray or blue striped tie, calf-length gray skirt and white knee socks with maryjanes, it’s easy to forget the incredible variety that exists in their home life. While many girls come from the Kibera slums or Nanyuki, the town closest to Daraja, many more students hail from incredibly remote areas, where their homes have no address and are several days’ walk from the closest dirt road. Grace’s piece hits home as an incredible reminder of where these girls are from.

Getting Life
By Grace



I am from the gourd and stick
Through the woods I whistle
Trying to get all of our herd home
At home they moo as Mom tries
To get the delicious drink from them.
Mom fights with them as she tries
To get more as they do the same.

I am from the pictures
I look at from the big frame.
I am from the big family
Between the neighbors
Who work in the garden
Morning to evening
Trying the life whatever it takes.

I am from ugali and sour milk
Enjoyed every evening.
As the taste melt in the mouth
So delicious
I am from the sweet rain smell
The dung of the animals
As I approach the boma
Every morning to look at my favorite.
I am from “do not marry from the same family of the same clan.”

I am from “socialize but do not specialize.”
The wise saying always lingers.
Beside Mr. D and Mrs. D
I am from all above
I am from “take care”

“I don’t care” leads the pathway of “I wish I knew.”
I am from Limunga, Gatundia, and Rumunuti.
I am from gourd stands and the sour
Is poured into our cups around the fire place.
I am from the time the Old lived
I am from the bright, brighter future
Will be prosperous to be wise.


Where I'm From
By Shamsia


I am from using black sufurias that a town girl once mistook as one of Ne-Yo’s black caps.
From having a family and friends album under my pillow on my small bed in my tiny place to sleep.
I am from a home with flowers all over, trees in the backyard, and a lot of love and appreciation from the little angels growing in there.

I am from the delicious mouth-watering Arabic pilau and cold Mt. Kenya yoghurt and ice cream, hoping to have them daily.
From the attracting perfumes that make me build castles in the air about my mum’s room and oh! her overloaded dressing mirror.
I am from moments of happiness, joy, and celebrations with me family at out grands’ for Eid-al-Fitr.

I am from daddy- Mohamed, Mummy-Maria, Brothers- Abdul, Bilal and Yahya, Sisters- Nasra and Kheirat, Cousin Fugicha and Aunty Tume.
From loving and caring for my younger brother Yahya.
I am from a family of caring, helping, empowering, loving, and listening respectfully.

I am from never forgetting “You can be a good writer” from Mr. and Mrs. Mark, from ever loving my friend J.W.
Born in Moyale, lived in Marsabit, stayed a little in Meru and now learning and living in Daraja.
I am from wearing and treasuring a gold coated bangle from Mum as a birthday present, from keeping letters from my friends in my closet and from caring for a close-shot picture of J.W.

From the time of my background and traditional histories.
From cows and goats as our main source of livelihood.
I am from the dream of changing a girl’s life, from loving and being loved, from dreaming of visiting Manila in the Philippines and also Norway.
I am from the future of being a writer, journalist, actress and pilot. If and only if all can be done by one person—Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment