Tuesday began before dawn, as Cora (a volunteer working on sustainability and environmental projects with the girls) and I led 56 sleepy girls on a round of stretches, calisthenics and sun salutations on the basketball court. By the end, the girls were awake and giggly enough to try Eagle Pose as Cora led them bravely through it. We collapsed into giggles, and several of the girls came up for good morning hugs after we dismissed them. Jenni, Daraja’s cofounder, led Cora and I on a (painfully high-altitude) 5k run through the hills beyond campus as the sun rose. It was my first African sunrise, and a stunning sight. We met up with younger students heading to primary school over the hill, who responded to our inquiry of “Habari za Asubuhi?” (literally, how is your morning?) with “Peaceful.” Truly a peaceful morning.
Tuesday afternoon brought the beginning of one of my largest projects with the girls; “Here I Am.” Combining both a reflective poem and self-portraiture, I was really looking forward to seeing the girls through their own eyes. They didn't disappoint.
Where I'm From, by Carolyne
I am from the cape my father bought for me.
From eating and drinking milk.
I am from Nyanza and Rift Valley Province.
I am from eating ugali.
From the smell of gas cookers and perfume.
I am from smiling and laughing.
I am from the love of my father, mother, and my siblings.
From the love of Mr. Doherty and Mrs. Jenny.
I am from the voice, soul, and passion of my late father.
I am from encountering love, hate, and poverty.
From Nyanza and Lake Victoria.
I am from eating chicken and ugali.
From the need to transcend from the darkness to the light my father left me with.
I am from the dream of becoming a journalist, visiting all the continents in the world, and standing for women's rights.
I sat reading each one until long after the generator shut off, poring over words under the covers by the blue glow of my headlamp. These girls are going to change their world, and yours. They've already changed mine.

No comments:
Post a Comment